I saw Rachel Lacy's Rice Krispy Treats on Pinterest and thought how clever, and what a darling idea for the fourth of July.
Hence, I had to share it here, Enjoy!
"Rachel Lacy is a contributor for Five Minutes for Mom, a blog which brings young mothers 5 Minutes to read, relax, & connect with other moms. They write to inspire, encourage & empower other mothers. "
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 10-ounce bag of mini-marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 cups of puffed rice (“Rice Krispies”) cereal
- Strawberries (one per sparkler)
- Blueberries (3-4 per sparkler)
- Star shaped cookie cutter
- Food skewers or lollipop sticks
- Ribbon (optional)
- In a heavy duty saucepan (I use a large stockpot to give myself plenty of room for stirring in the cereal), melt the butter over low heat.
- When completely melted, add the marshmallows and stir continuously until melted.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Remove from heat and add in the cereal, stirring until completely coated and mixed in.
- Pour coated cereal onto wax paper or buttered foil and spread out to the thickness of your cookie cutter. As you spread it out, keep the mixture compact — don’t allow any “holes” to form as the cereal moves under the pressure of your spatula (or wax paper if using that to shape the cereal mixture).
- Once completely flat and thin enough for your cookie cutter to go through, allow the cereal mixture to cool and firm up. (Note: if you live in a high-humidity area like I do, this may take as much as 30 minutes)
- Once cooled, press your cookie cutter into the hardened mixture, remove the cut out treat from the cutter and set aside. Repeat.
- Starting with the strawberries, skewer the washed and trimmed fruit onto the wooden food skewers or lollipop sticks.
- Carefully add one Rice Krispies treat on to the top of each skewer.
- You can tie a ribbon to the stick/skewer, just below the strawberry for more festive color (and it helps support the heavy strawberry).
- Serve and enjoy!"
- Rachel Lacy: http://www.5minutesformom.com/57796/making-everyday-food-special-rice-krispy-treat-sparklers/