HOW TO MAKE MACAROONS
Pink food coloring.
How to create Macaroon jewels
- Preheat the oven to 150° C (300° F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the powdered sugar and almond powder together in a food processor.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks; add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- When the whites are forming glossy peaks, whisk in the food coloring (to desired color) until combined.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the almond mixture, one into the other little by little. At first it will be thick. Eventually it will be ribbon like, but not runny.
Using a pastry bag, pipe the macaroons onto the baking sheet, smooth the tops with a wet finger.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes, at 150° C, turn off the oven, open the door and let the macaroons sit at room temperature for about two hours: Do not touch, nor move them.
While they are cooling prepare the filling. Mix the fresh cream with the raspberry jam and vanilla. Once cooled sandwich the macaroons together with a touch of filling and fresh raspberries. Sprinkle with powder sugar.